Transporting persons in need of assistance is key to IOM's overall mission of meeting global migration challenges. IOM organizes the safe movement of people for temporary and permanent resettlement or return to their countries of origin. IOM is also able to provide pre-departure medical screening. Activities include the movement of:
- quota refugees resettling in new countries
- family reunifications
- EU relocation cases
- medical cases
- emergency cases in need of protection
Specific advantages of IOM services are:
- professional services in assisting refugees and migrants to complete applications for emigration
- considerably discounted airfares
- increased luggage allowance
- departure, transit, and arrival assistance
IOM Finland ensures a smooth and safe transport of refugees in coordination of the sending, transit missions and keeps the donor informed on the progress of the journey.
IOM moves most refugees by scheduled commercial air and charters using negotiated contracts with major international and domestic airlines.
Since 2006, the IOM Office in Helsinki has been operating as IOM’s Nordic Resettlement Centre except for Norway, who has its own IOM office. IOM Finland manages all Refugee Resettlement and Family Reunification-related operations for Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland.
IOM Finland ensures fast and efficient resettlement processing for refugees and migrants, as well as the sponsoring governments.
Services to Persons Selected for Resettlement to Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Iceland
IOM Finland organizes the transportation for the refugees to the Nordic countries (IOM Norway handles the Norwegian cases), including escorts and purchasing of clothes where needed. Before departure IOM carries out the “fitness to travel” check. For quota refugees headed to Denmark the pre-departure health assessment is performed for all applicants in the country of first asylum and includes the taking of the medical history as well as detailed physical examination.
The scope of the programme is global. The programme is operated by field missions in the respective locations. IOM Finland is the programme manager.
IOM provides services to quota refugees selected for resettlement under the framework agreements between IOM and the Finnish Immigration Service, the Danish Immigration Service, the Swedish Migration Agency and Icelandic Ministry of Welfare respectively.
IOM also takes care of the travel arrangements for persons resettling to Finland, Sweden and Iceland under a family reunification scheme in partnership with Finnish Immigration Service, Swedish Red Cross, Swedish Migration Agency and the Icelandic Ministry of Welfare respectively.
In July 2015 EU Member States agreed to relocate asylum seekers from Member States experiencing high migratory pressure, ie. Italy and Greece. IOM Finland handled the relocation to Finland and Sweden under the scheme.
At the end of 2017 1981 persons have been relocated to Finland. Of those 109 were unaccompanied minors. Finland is one of the few EU countries accepting unaccompanied minors under the scheme. During the same time frame almost 3047 persons had been relocated to Sweden.
Family Reunification self-payer services to Finland, Sweden and Denmark
IOM Finland provides travel arrangements and transit assistance for self-payers under the Family Reunification program.
The services provided include:
- assistance in obtaining exit permits,
- immigration formalities and verification of travel documents,
- provision of travel arrangements (international and domestic)
- transit assistance.
Our charges for sponsor pre-paid cases are as follows:
- Actual travel cost with an addition of fluctuation rate of 3%
- Service fee 100 USD per person
- Transit assistance fee according to the transit point.
- Issuance of travel document and exit permit costs
- Invoicing fee of 20 USD per invoice
- ground transportation
- IOM does not make partial travel arrangement
- The settlement of invoice can be done in Finland or at departure point.
- Payment should be in USD or EUR
Unioninkatu 13, 6th floor
Tue – Thu 10-12 AM
Phone number: +358 684 11 50